Jun 5, 2020

Listening

This has been a week of conflicting emotions for me as a school superintendent and an American citizen. While I have been immensely proud of our Class of 2020 graduates as they walk across the stage and accept hard-earned diplomas, my heart aches from the tragic death of former Houstonian George Floyd and the resulting division that has occurred in our nation. The cries for justice and awareness have been loud and clear, and I stand beside you as you express your feelings.  

I continue to believe that public education is the equalizer for all children. One of the reasons I sent my children to public school is I knew they would be surrounded by a diverse community that better reflects what the world looks like. I truly believe that they are more understanding people because they went to school with people who did not look, think or believe exactly like they did. The more we know each other, the better off we’re going to be.

Something I have shared with our graduating seniors this week is that for those of us who have not experienced discrimination, the most important thing we can do is listen to others. Just because we haven’t experienced discrimination doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I don’t need to tell you how you should think; I need to listen to how you feel.

I want each of our students to feel safe and welcome in our schools. Despite the many challenges we have faced in recent months, I am optimistic that we will emerge stronger and more unified than ever before. Each new class of students is more diverse, more accepting and more committed to making our country a better place. I look forward to being a part of the future shaped by the Class of 2020 and beyond.

In CFISD, our motto, Opportunity for All, is our pledge to do our best to offer an exceptional education to every student without regard to race, creed or family background. I recognize that CFISD can always improve as an organization, and I am committed to increasing our understanding and becoming more racially and culturally sensitive.


~ Mark Henry, Ed.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment