Nov 14, 2018

Thankful

As the Thanksgiving holiday approaches next week, I encourage you to take a moment to count your blessings. To lead by example, I have created a short list of things I am thankful for during this season of giving.

I cherish my CFISD family and the way it comes together for every occasion. Recently, when challenged to get out and vote, staff and students alike organized major efforts to make their voices heard. I was so proud to see that when #CFISDvotes, it votes big!





I am thankful for the courageous veterans who have defended our freedoms for 242 years. I was humbled to meet the families of Cypress Creek HS graduates SPC Scott Quentin Larson Jr. and Cpl. Scott A. McIntosh, who lost their lives in Operation Iraqi Freedom, during the unveiling of Cypress Creek’s Fallen Warriors memorial on Oct. 9.




Heroes are all around us. My friend Walter Grice, pictured below with his wife Mary, is a Purple Heart recipient from World War II. He served more than 70 years ago in his youth so I and others could be free today.




I am thankful to work with a Board of Trustees who are aligned with the vision of Opportunity for All. These seven servant leaders truly cheer all students to succeed!



Family is everything. I was raised by great parents who have been married for 65 years and continue to set an incredible example for me to this day. My wife, Cindy, is my rock and I am so grateful for her. Blessings continue to multiply in the form of beautiful grandchildren. I am now up to five following the arrival of Homer Sutton on Oct. 3. I am blessed to be able to spend Thanksgiving with all of them.



Too easily we forget how much we have to be thankful for. During this Thanksgiving break, briefly hit the pause button and reflect on those blessings. Enjoy the time off, and I will see you back on Nov. 26!

~ Mark Henry, Ed.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment